Problem: some songs appear marked with the ‘!’ sign in my iTunes and I just want to get rid of them (in my case I know the original source was an external drive I’m not using anymore).
Ideas: I learned that
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml contains a list with all songs and their path, so eager to make it quick I planned to create a python script to modify this file till I realized there was no need to program.
- everything here is related to iTunes v 11.x & on Mac OS
- If running, stop iTunes and reopen it pressing Option key (alt)
- A prompt will ask you to change iTunes library (if not you weren’t holding the right key)
- Choose the ‘create’ new library buttonAt this point you’ll have an iTunes empty version. No songs listed at all.
- Finally, go to File>Library>Import playlist and choose the .xml file I told you before (
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml). This way you’ll import all the files except from those having unreachable links to disk (which turns to be exactly what I wanted)
Some useful links i checked before I came up with a solution:
– programming example (in case your need to do something more complex)